[IronPython] IronPython 0.9.5 released!

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Nov 18 00:34:50 CET 2005

Hello IronPython community,

We've just released the latest version of IronPython - 0.9.5.  We're continuing to drive towards full Python 2.4 compatibility with bug fixes and the implementation of more standard built-in types and modules.  With these improvements we now pass 8 more tests in the standard CPython regression test suite.  At the same time, we're also improving .NET/Python interoperability with improved support for subclassing from C# classes and a better experience using Python objects in WPF GUIs.

The full list of changes is:
            optimized BuiltinFunctions don't have __doc__
            Assignment to a literal not handled (just improve the error message)
Can assign to None
Keyword argument support for built in types
New built-in modules: collections (deque), gc, thread
Dir() was not showing all the attributes for subclasses.
Fixed __init__ and __new__ semantics for built in types
Parsing incomplete field access throws NullReferenceException
Fix virtual calls from C# to Python overrides w/ structs, enums, & params args
Implement ICustomTypeDescriptor for python types
Fix name mangling for private members starting with _'s
Fix classes derived from list can't be constructed w/ a string parameter

With these changes we pass these baseline tests:  timeit,  dummy_threading, mutex, netrc, Queue, shlex, threading, and threading_local.  We also pass the deque tests (with exceptions for weakref, pickle, and itertools) as well as thread and threading without any changes.

We'd also like to thank the community for your bug reports and suggestions to make this a better release:
Nicholas Jacobson, John Doty, Steven Drucker, Flexibal, Michael Shilman, and Chris Anderson.

You can download the 0.9.5 release from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EE009419-9D19-4DC7-B4EC-36CA1914F170&displaylang=en

Thanks and keep in touch,
The IronPython team