[IronPython] importing the os module

Papanii Okai papanii.okai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 03:03:12 CEST 2005

Thanks a lot Drew...

--Papanii

  _____

From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Drew Moore
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:14 PM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] importing the os module

Papanii Okai wrote:

Hmm, I tend to disagree with you on the fact that in standard python os is
not a built in module. Even though nt is built in, the os modules also built
in. But what is confusing is that Anthony posted that he was able to import
the os module like so.

Define 'builtin'.
(define 'sex' ;-)

>From cpython's help utility..

Help on built-in module sys:

NAME
    sys

FILE
    (built-in)

Help on module os:

NAME
    os - OS routines for Mac, DOS, NT, or Posix depending on what system
we're on.

FILE
    /usr/lib/python2.3/os.py

os.py == not builtin

I often describe the "help" utility as "built in."
really, it is not.. it is a standard part of python.. but it is written as a
python module, not a core part of the interpreter written in pure C.

The help facility, which I use all the time in cpython, and semantically
consider a builtin, is *not* technically a builtin. It comes from pydoc.py.
Which rocks. But is not built in.

cheers

Drew