[IronPython] [Python.NET] Naming and resolution of generic types (complete!)

Thane Plummer thane at magna-capital.com
Sat Apr 1 05:32:48 CEST 2006

My vote is to keep Python pure, i.e. import SomeGeneric_TT or foo =
TwoParamGeneric<<2 are simply un-Pythonic.

It is amusing that the .NET framework has incorporated a feature
--Generics-- that make it more useful, and indeed more like Python, and the
Python community is now trying to emulate a solution that has already been
solved in Python!  OK, I'm generalizing and I recognize that there are
exceptions; but by and large, Generics give .NET programmers the flexibility
that Python users have always had.

The vast majority of programming objectives can be met using plain old
Python.  Really.

A problem arises when there is a .NET system call or 3rd party library that
expects Generics in its interface.  In those cases, why not just coerce the
native Python type and throw an exception if the programmer did something
stupid?

>>> import generic_interface_lib
>>> int_list = [1, 2, 3, "Hey! A string!", 5, 6]
>>> result = generic_interface_lib.Plot(int_list)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
Do_Not_Be_A_Bozo Exception: function requires a list of numbers.

Yes, I do know the answer to the previous question, but this seems to be a
more Pythonic solution.  Brian's question makes me wonder if Python can be
all things to all programmers, and my thinking is: no, it can't.  Trying to
make it so will just pollute the language.

--Thane