[IronPython] Speed test

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Apr 19 23:01:34 CEST 2006

If in initializeDB you comment out:

ipEngine1.SetVariable("pred_file", predfile);                                    ipEngine1.Execute(@"db.load_predicates_file(pred_file)");

does it get much faster?  If it doesn't then the problem is squarely an IronPython problem and we'll need to investigate further.

The more static one has some issues...  The GetObjectArray() call will be really expensive if your edges grow to be very big (it'll copy the array).  Maybe that's what you need to do here though (and it looks like edge just grows unbounded as it never gets cleared).

You also might be able to get rid of the Ops.GetEnumerator call for the Tuple, not that that should be very expensive though.

NodesCollection is a StringCollection?

Also, are you taking your performance measurements at the console, or in an imported py file?  In general our performance is much better in imported files than it is at the console.

Do you want to help develop Dynamic languages on CLR? (http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=6D4754DE-11F0-45DF-8B78-DC1B43134038)