[IronPython] __getslice__ usage in sre_parse

Sanghyeon Seo sanxiyn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 05:34:51 CEST 2006

Hello,

Python language reference 3.3.6 deprecates __getslice__. I think it's
okay that UserList.py has it, but sre_parse shouldn't use it, no?

__getslice__ is not implemented in IronPython and this breaks usage of
_sre.py, a pure-Python implementation of _sre, on IronPython:
http://ubique.ch/code/_sre/

_sre.py is needed for me because IronPython's own regex implementation
using underlying .NET implementation is not compatible enough for my
applications. I will write a separate bug report for this.

It should be a matter of removing __getslice__ and adding
isinstance(index, slice) check in __getitem__. I would very much
appreciate it if this is fixed before Python 2.5.

Seo Sanghyeon