[IronPython] CPython libs with IP runtime

Sanghyeon Seo sanxiyn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 07:06:49 CEST 2006

2006/8/31, Slide <slide.o.mix at gmail.com>:
> I would like to use IronPython as the "registered" python install on
> my machines, BUT I also want to have ALL the standard python libraries
> that come with the python install. Has anyone come up with an easy way
> of doing this? Basically, it would be nice if I double clicked a .py
> file on windows and it was run using IronPython, but still have access
> to getopt, et al from CPython. Is anyone else interested in something
> like this?

There are two separate things here:

1. Using Python standard library
This is well documented in IronPython Tutorial, which should be
included in the release you downloaded. (Tutorial 1 Exercise 4)

2. Using IronPython to run .py files by default
This was discussed several times before on this list. You simply
create/edit file relations as you do for other files.

Quoting from this thread:
http://lists.ironpython.com/pipermail/users-ironpython.com/2006-March/002050.html

Q: I would like to use IP as default Python engine. That means I would
like to run IP scripts using doubleclick or just 'enter' on script
file or right mouse button and 'open with'.

A: For double click / enter you should be able to right click on the
script, see "Opens with" on the General tab, select the Change button
to the right, click the Browse button on the bottom of the Open With
dialog that opens, and then find IronPythonConsole.exe in the file
open dialog that comes up.

Seo Sanghyeon