[IronPython] Accesses static ResourceManager from IronPython

Chris Stoy chris.stoy at redstorm.com
Tue Dec 19 00:28:56 CET 2006

Hello all,

I'm working on embedding IronPython into a larger C# application to
allow end-users the ability to write scripts.  One thing I want to do is
provide a set of icon resources in the C# code and expose them to
IronPython so a user can access them.  I created a new Resource.resx
file called "PublicResources" in my C# application.  This creates a
class called "PublicResources" that contains a set of static methods to
access the resources in a type-safe way.  Although I can expose the
underlying ResourceManager instance to IP, what I really want is the
class PublicResources exposed so I can us it in my IronPython code.

For example, in C# I would say:

Form myForm = new Form();

myForm.Icon = PublicResources.MyFormIcon;

and in IronPython, I want to say:

myForm = Form()

myForm.Icon = PublicResources.MyFormIcon

So, I guess this boils down to "how do I expose static classes from C#
to IronPython?"

(On a side note, if anyone knows where there is some documentation on
the proper way to expose .NET class to IronPython I would appreciate it.
Currently I'm creating a new module with PythonEngine.CreateModule(),
adding objects to the Globals, and importing it using
PythonEngine.Import()...but I have no idea if that is the right way to
do it.)

Thanks a lot for any help.

Chris.