[IronPython] IronPython 1.0 Beta 3 Released!

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Feb 22 02:28:57 CET 2006

Not sure if our wires are getting crossed here or what (there's a separate implicit cast thread somewhere else I thought, but anyway...)

Implicit casts should actually happen implicitly though - you shouldn?t need any syntax to cause them to happen.  The closest thing I could find in CPython to an implicit cast was __coerce__ for numeric methods, but it has rather strange semantics compared to what we want here.

In C# if you define an implict cast:

    public class A {
        public A(int value) {
            this.value = value;
        }

        public int value;

        public static implicit operator B(A a) {
            return new B(a.value);
        }
    }

You can then do:

B xyz = A(5);

And it compiles and the C# calls the implicit cast under the covers.  If you did an explicit cast instead you would indeed need to add the cast:

B xyz = (B)A(5);

Otherwise it wouldn't compile.

I think a good syntax for the explicit cast might just be object creation like:

xyz = B(A(5))

which is similar in many respects to:

a = int('23')

although then there'd probably be issues w/ a class that defines both a constructor & an explicit cast, so this is more complex than implicit casts (for implicit casts we can just fall back to checking for op_Implicit on the type as the last step of our conversion efforts, so it fits in nicely).

Do you want to help develop Dynamic languages on CLR? (http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=6D4754DE-11F0-45DF-8B78-DC1B43134038)