[IronPython] 1.0 Beta 1 is out now!

Szymon Kobalczyk s.kobalczyk at softwaremind.pl
Tue Jan 3 13:00:02 CET 2006

Thanks for a great New Years present!

I'm most interested in what you did to fix the memory issues from
previous versions. I've already found the Compile and Execute(object)
methods on PythonEngine. Are there any other changes that can help to
limit memory footprint when hosting IP?

I found one problem with the Compile/Execute duo: in this mode I don't
have access to the '_' variable.
It can be read when using the Execute(string) method and it was
available with the earlier trick to precompile scripts.
I found that it is disabled by last parameter in
OutputGenerator.GenerateSnippet() method (printExprStmts) that is later
passed to CodeGen. I don't know Python enough to know if this is
intended behavior but I found the '_' variable really useful for 'multi
statement evals'.

Szymon Kobalczyk