[IronPython] Encoding problem

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jan 4 17:44:21 CET 2006

ASCII is actually a fine value here it's just that we don't currently support the # -*- encoding syntax.  What we do currently support is the normal Unicode headers at the beginning of files that Windows typically does (CPython also will recognize these).  If that's present then we'll decode the file as Unicode otherwise we'll decode it as ASCII (this is a feature of the BCL that we pick up for free).

We do have an active bug to support PEP-263 file encoding syntax - which is what you're using here.  Based upon your feedback I've raised the priority of this bug but I'm still not sure it'll make our next release.  What we'd do then is get the encoding and then re-open the file w/ the correct encoding.

It seems like you have a reasonable work around for yourself for the time being but I don't think this will be a portable solution that will work from machine to machine - for example if the default encoding is some non-Unicode encoding then many characters won't be available.