[IronPython] Newbie question: can I build .NET assemblies from Python code?

Devin Ganger DevinG at 3sharp.com
Sat Jan 14 07:00:56 CET 2006

Hello all!

I'm new to C# and don't have a lot of experience with advanced Python,
so pardon this if it seems to be an obvious question.

I have a C# project I'm working on for personal use that requires a
functional RADIUS client library. I've searched high and low and have
only found a single commercial library available. However, I did find a
freely available Python RADIUS implementation, so when I ran across
IronPython I immediately wondered if I'd be able to take the Python
library and produce a stand-alone .NET assembly that I could then drop
into another project.

Is this possible, or would I need to incorproate IronPython and the
Python RADIUS library into my C# project source code? If it is possible,
how feasible would it be until I can get my coding skills to the point
of writing a native C# implementation? Since it's all IL, would there be
any drawbacks to using such an assembly?

Thanks in advance! I very much look forward to playing with IronPython
and learning more.

Devin L. Ganger                    Email: deving at 3sharp.com
3Sharp LLC                         Phone: 425.882.1032 x 109
15311 NE 90th Street                Cell: 425.239.2575
Redmond, WA  98052                   Fax: 425.702.8455
(e)Mail Insecurity: http://blogs.3sharp.com/blog/deving/