[IronPython] IDE

ivan chollet ivan.chollet at lynanda.com
Sun Jan 29 10:58:49 CET 2006

Clearly, Komodo and Eric are nice GUIs with decent debugging platforms.
However I doubt that any of these editors will support IronPython in any way
in the short term.
As a matter of fact, a lot of ideas should be borrowed from them to build an
open editor for the IronPython framework.

Though, I think that this task (building a debugging platform) will be more
difficult for IronPython than with simpler languages such php or Python. I
mean, IronPython is a very rich language (it integrates all the .NET
framework facilities...).

What I can do right now is a simple debugger with breakpoints and on-the-fly
variable exploration features. Code modification while debugging should be
also quite trivial to add, given the interpreted nature of the .NET
languages. Multi-threading, remote debugging are more difficult to
implement.

Ivan