[IronPython] Can not use httplib in ironpython beta9?

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 18 23:13:18 CEST 2006

One nice thing about the Python community (as distinct from some others I know of) is that Python coders are quite happy to use the code someone else wrote -- so having the Python language implementation "solid" is a big part of the battle.

The IronPython team somewhat "cheated" and "just" made a good enough implementation of the language so that the Python standard library modules that are written in Python (that's quite a lot of them) work as their authors intended.  The team has had to write some of modules from scratch, using .Net APIs, however.

The hard part has been getting implementations of the lower-level standard libraries that aren't written in Python (e.g. socket) that are oft-used by other stdlib modules.  There, the community has helped (Sanghyeon Seo getting 4+ stars for his work).  Make sure you look at the code he's written.

At 02:37 PM 7/18/2006, peter lin wrote
>>From the article I just read, you reimplement almost all python standard library
>in <http://dot.net>dot.net 2.0, is that right?
>It's a unbelievably huge job. Big thank to you guys there.
>
>Best regards Peter

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp