[IronPython] IronPython (PythonCodePovider) for ASP.NET?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jul 25 20:46:58 CEST 2006

The first we actually applies more to the world than just MS.  This is something that we've shipped w/ the past 2 or 3 betas.  The we're is definitely MS / the IronPython team.

The main concern is that we are shoe-horning a dynmamic language into a static world and that's not really the right thing to do.  With enough effort we might be able to pull it off, but there might be a better way to go which enables ASP.NET w/o the feeling of it not being Python.  There might also always be rough edges that we can never quite make work correctly - and given we've spent all this time making IronPython work like CPython we don't want to just throw that away.  Just to give you some concrete examples of what doesn't work with the static compiler we have today:
        Multiple inheritance
        Overloading functions when there are multiple virtuals to overload
        Inheriting from assemblies dynamically added at runtime (e.g. clr.AddReference)
        Dealing w/ "well-known names" that aren't really well-known (e.g. object, property, etc...) and can be redefined

OTOH you should be able to do all of this once you're inside ASP.NET script tags modulo bugs (which there are probably plenty of).

We're still researching other options so it's a little too soon to say what the alternatives would look like.  And the final two questions I don't think we have answers to right now, but we'll be sure to let you know when we have more to say.