[IronPython] FW: [Simpy-users] RE: SimPy on IronPython timing test

Klaus Muller kgmuller at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 28 13:13:33 CEST 2006

Dino,
I was happy to see the announcement of the IronPython 1.0 Release Candidate.
I downloaded and ran the same test as indicated in my message of February
14, i.e.

from SimPy.Simulation import *
import time

class Dum(Process):
    def run(self):
        yield hold,self,3
initialize()
nrProcs=int(raw_input("Nr of processes?"))
processes=[Dum("Dum%s"%x) for x in range(1,nrProcs)]

for i in range(nrProcs):
    p=Dum("%s"%i)
    activate(p,p.run(),at=i)

tStart=(time.clock(),time.time())
simulate(until=2*nrProcs)
print "Ran in %s seconds for %s
processes"%((time.clock()-tStart[0],time.time()-tStart[1]),nrProcs)
raw_input("Hit any key . . .")

Here are the results:

Nr processes=10000
------------------
IronPython RC: 1.82 seconds (Beta 2: 2.06 seconds)
Cpython 2.3: 0.47 seconds

Nr processes=50000
IronPython rc: 14.19 seconds (Beta 2: 15.53 seconds)
Cpython 2.3: 3.67 seconds

So, the RC's runtime performance is slightly better than that of Beta 2, but
there is still a significant speed advantage for CPython.

I have the impression that not much has been done on IronPython performance
tuning.

Best regards,

Klaus Müller