[IronPython] Experimental static compilation

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jun 20 17:27:12 CEST 2006

The reason why we didn't mention it, and the reason why it's disabled by default, is because there are limits to it in what you can do and plenty of corner cases that don't work.  Another way to put that is it's nowhere near passing all the CPython and our own IronPython regression tests (and we have plenty of concerns about how close we can get there).

That being said our CodeDom provider currently enables it by default, and that in turn can be used to create web pages w/ ASP.NET.  So it is at least somewhat functional, but definitely not ready for prime-time.

It currently works by parsing the Python code like we normally do and making lots of guesses about what it sees.  We still generate the various sort of module-initialization code that you'd get w/ Python.  The classes definition becomes the cctor and is run on first access.  And we map all function definitions to returning object & taking all object parameters, unless we detect an overload in which case we pick a virtual method w/ the same name to overload.  Currently it's not very sophisticated in how it does any of this.