[IronPython] Remoting: Marshal object

Ralph Soons ralph.soons.asml at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:49:12 CEST 2006

In c# I have 3 assembly's. There's a server exe and a client exe and a
library in which the remoting objects are implemented, which are included in
both the client and the server. The CallbackSink class is situated in the
library which has the namespace RemotingServerClient.
I use server activated Singleton mode configuration.

I would like to register on the OnHostToClient event at server side so any
object registering for this event receives a notification when a client
calls. My problem was that the object I registered my event to and the
object which was called by the client weren't the same. So my registered
event handlers weren't called. That's why I had to use the marshal function.
Using the c# server and client this works.

After this I replaced the c# server by a python server. I used the same
configuration. Created an event handler function. Created the CallbackSink
object (got an instance) and registered the event handler to it. Now I
marshal the callbacksink object to make sure during a call from the client
the same object is used.

When I call my server in python from the c# client, the message is received
in the Send function of the CallbackSink and if write the received message
to the console I see the message appearing in the python console. However
the CallbackSink object is newly created and isn't the object I marshalled
in the python server.

So it looks like the Marshal call doesn't work. I don't see any exception.
Only thing I see is that the objects are different.