[IronPython] getaddr() support?

Bruce Christensen t-bruch at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 21 22:25:12 CEST 2006

John,

Thanks for the report. This is a known problem. As noted in
socket.__doc__, there are a functions in socket that we don't currently
implement:

    This implementation of socket differs slightly from the standard
CPython
    socket module. Many of these differences are due to the
implementation of
    the .NET socket libraries. These differences are summarized below.
For full
    details, check the docstrings of the functions mentioned.

In this case, the .NET network API (upon which IronPython's socket
module is built) provides no getaddrinfo() function for us to build on,
so we don't export one to Python. We considered writing own version of
it, but we didn't have time to get it right before we released. Rather
than introducing subtle incompatibilities, we just left out the feature.

I've filed CodePlex bug 548 to track this.

--Bruce