[IronPython] IP v8 Hosting question...

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jun 28 03:47:27 CEST 2006

Two things could be causing the increasing memory usage:

1.  Instances of modules hanging around.  If you're creating new modules & those are getting published in sys.modules, then you'll keep these things around (you could manually remove them from sys.modules and they should be collected after that).

2. Code compiled in a module will not be collectible - it will get compiled into a type in-memory that won't get unloaded until app domain unload.  Code compiled stand-alone (e.g. from Python doing exec or eval) will be collectible and go away when the GC kicks in.  In general this should come down to RunFile* will not be collectible, and everything else is.

We do have a mode, -X:GenerateAsSnippets, which forces everything to be generated in mode #2.  But there are significant performance benefits to having the non-collectible code.

Everything else should be collectible.