[IronPython] CLS compliance

Joshua Kugler joshua.kugler at uaf.edu
Wed Mar 1 19:09:40 CET 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 22:08, Keith J. Farmer wrote:
> > Well, you can read the complete source code of IronPython.
> >
> > Yes, it uses reflection to consume CLS types.
> <soapbox>
> Source code and API listings are merely implementation details; they
> generally do a poor job of explaining why a thing is done a certain way,
> and so are of limited scope in education.
> </soapbox>

<soapbox type="reply">
Properly (even heavily) commented source *should* explain why things are done
a certain way.  They should go beyond simple things like, "Check to make sure
we're not over some limit."  If the source code is to be understandable to
newbies (or even new hires), comments should fully explain architecture,
design decisions, and code flow.  Of course, I've yet to run into a project
that does this well.  Hopefully, a couple of my upcoming projects at work
will have more comments than source code. :)
</soapbox>

--
Joshua Kugler                 PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/
CDE System Administrator             ID 0xDB26D7CE