[IronPython] comments vs docs (was RE: CLS compliance)

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Wed Mar 1 22:27:37 CET 2006

At that point, the source code often becomes unreadable.  At least, for me.  Personally, I need the code to be more or less intact, rather than balkanized.

What I think needs to happen is something similar to MS Word's comments view (where various people's comments are stored in the doc file, but are displayed as marginalia). An IDE could interpret either an external file, or some extended comment block, and pull that away from the main part of the source, so that it is still intact, but the callouts are still accessible.

It still doesn't address "Why are visitors a good way to transform ASTs?", or the like.  Instead, it's still focussed on the particular implementation, and thus can easily become desynchronized.

It's the more general "How do you build a compiler, and why are certain tradeoffs made?" that I think the OP was asking about.  Something too broad of scope to be good comment fodder, IMHO.  "Read the source" then becomes a non-answer.