[IronPython] Updating globals()

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Mar 29 19:08:24 CEST 2006

The statics actually come from all of the global variables referred to in the module.  So for example in a case like:

from sys import *

min(2,3,4)

min would become a static variable.  When the import occurs we update the modules dictionary which will recognize that min is an extra key and we'll update the static variable instead of updating the underlying dictionary.  Which brings me to your second question - there is an underlying dictionary that will be lazily created if a user tries to use keys that aren't otherwise present.

If the user deletes an extra key we will store a value of Uninitialize(attrName) for the value.  We also check to see if the value is Uninitialized before handing it back to the user (and say it doesn't exist if it is Uninitialized).  Uninitialized is a sealed class in the IronPython runtime and it's also used in other cases (for example when you delete a local we assign Uninitialized to it).  And we do also check for Uninitialized after the ldsfld as well.

If you want to test it out and see if you can hit any corner cases that don't work that'd be great.  I don't think the update should really block you too much as it's just one API that isn't available (everything else should just work).

Do you want to help develop Dynamic languages on CLR? (http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=6D4754DE-11F0-45DF-8B78-DC1B43134038)