[IronPython] very basic question - use of iron python as asp.net - when ?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Mar 30 02:41:47 CEST 2006

There are two features that are required to support ASP.NET:  CodeDom & static type compilation.

We have a pretty good implementation of CodeDom at this point.  It is mostly sufficient for both ASP.NET's code gen purposes as well as the VS WinForms designer.  It's probably less sufficient for ASP.NET designer scenarios but there's been no real exploration in this space.

The second part is ye-old-static type compilation.  ASP.NET, after compiling code using CodeDom, expects to be able to get real types back from the assembly that was produced.  If it can't create an instance of the type it just asked CodeDom to create then its game over.

Static type compilation will most likely (as in that's when you should realistically expect it) happen in v1.1, but if things go really really smoothly throughout the rest of v1.0 then we might be able to squeeze in the required features for v1.0.

But currently ASP.NET basically just doesn't work at all.

Do you want to help develop Dynamic languages on CLR? (http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/details.aspx?JobID=6D4754DE-11F0-45DF-8B78-DC1B43134038)