[IronPython] [Web-SIG] Implementing WSGI server as ASP.NET handler

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Mar 30 20:20:18 CEST 2006

Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> Hello, I got a proof-of-concept WSGI server as ASP.NET handler
> working, using IronPython.
>
> My development environment is Debian GNU/Linux with latest Mono and
> XSP, and IronPython 1.0 Beta 4 with patches.
>
> All the relevant codes are here. I will write a nice HOWTO when I got
> some more time.
> http://sparcs.kaist.ac.kr/~tinuviel/fepy/
>
> Extract IronPython release and copy CPython's Lib directory over. Then
> download wsgi.py from lib directory to Lib directory.
>
> Create a directory (this will be ASP.NET application root directory).
> Download web.config and wsgi_hello.py from example directory.
>
> Create "bin" directory inside the application root directory. Make
> symbolic links to IronMath.dll, IronPython.dll, and copied-over Lib
> directory there. Then download WSGI.cs and its Makefile from src
> directory, and build WSGI.dll.
>
> Now just run "xsp2" ("xsp" is for .NET 1.x, and won't work with
> IronPython) from the application root directory. You should see
> something like:
>
> xsp2
> Listening on port: 8080 (non-secure)
> Listening on address: 0.0.0.0
> Root directory: /home/tinuviel/devel/fepy/wsgi
> Hit Return to stop the server.
>
> Do not hit return.
>
> Open http://localhost:8080/wsgi_hello.py in your web browser
> and get greeted.

Good to see another one out there. Mine's at
http://projects.amor.org/misc/wiki/ASPGateway

Be careful with request.InputStream--apparently, the whole thing gets
copied into memory:
http://www.codecomments.com/archive289-2004-10-299287.html You'll also
probably want to use ReadBinary to handle "non-text" files.

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org