[IronPython] unicode bug?

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Mon May 1 18:15:20 CEST 2006

(This presumes that IronPython has separate string and unicode types, like CPython does.  If that's not the case, well, "never mind...")

Shouldn't it be the case that calling   typename(value)   does as little work as possible if the value is already of the specified type?  That is, it would be a shame if
    i = 5
    j = int(i)
did a lot of work to ensure that i is a valid int (within range of 32-bit integer etc).  So the sample code should not be testing to see if the already-unicode-string can be converted to a unicode string -- should it?  (That doesn't mean that there's no problem that could be demonstrated by slightly different code, like   u = unicode (Sq2 + 'hello')   for example.)

Shouldn't the error message say "from code page XXX to unicode" rather than saying "from specified code page to unicode"?  How else to know (without a lot of investigation) what code page was "specified"?

At 11:34 AM 5/1/2006, Dino Viehland wrote (in part)
>Thanks for the bug report, I've got it filed in our bug database.
>
>I'm thinking we should be able to get to this one for beta 7 if it doesn't end up being too complex (Unicode can always be trickier than you initially expect).

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp