[IronPython] deriving IronPython

ivan chollet ivan.chollet at lynanda.com
Wed May 10 16:13:07 CEST 2006

For instance, people often would like to override methods such as
DumpStackTraces in PythonEngine or SuperConsole's methods, as well as
PythonCommandLine's methods.
IronPython's kernel is clearly not a request (unless someone would want to
rewrite it from scratch...), only the uppermost layers should ever be
concerned by overriding.
Methods such as PythonEngine.setStdout(...) are really helpful. That's the
kind of features we like, but it would be rather painful for you to develop
a comprehensive API with tons of such functions. Maybe being able to simply
override methods would be easier from the user's POV. I'm not fully
qualified to answer such questions but I thought that a simple user's
position could provide you with a different insight in IP's design issues.
Hope this helps!

Ivan chollet