[IronPython] Dictionary Ordering

J. Merrill jvm_cop at spamcop.net
Thu May 18 04:31:36 CEST 2006

At 06:44 PM 5/17/2006, Michael Foord wrote (in part)
>Dino Viehland wrote (in part):
>> It's an implementation detail which may change in future versions.
>[snip]
>I was wondering whether the ordering in IronPython was a design decision or a con-incidence. [snip]

It's likely that a dictionary with many entries will not behave the same way.  (Basing a dictionary's internal structure on the basis of the number of entries is quite sensible; the structure (and algorithms) that will give best performance for millions of entries has more overhead than makes sense if there 10 of fewer, and vice versa.

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp