[IronPython] embedded debugging

Shri Borde Shri.Borde at microsoft.com
Sun Nov 12 02:15:51 CET 2006

I believe your breakpoint is in top-level global code of the module. In that case, this is a known limitation.

VisualStudio will display local variables of functions defined in IronPython. However, if you are executing top-level global code, the Python global variables are implemented as CLR static variables or sometimeas as a dictionary object held in a CLR static variable. The Locals window in VisualStudio does not display CLR global variables. As a result, you will not see the Python global variables.

What is needed is a visualizer to display CLR global variables. VisualStudio does support such a plug-in architecture. However, such a plug-in has not yet been implemented. We do want to improve such support in the future, but we have not gotten to this yet.