[IronPython] ipy support in msxsl:script blocks

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:24:08 CEST 2006

Worth noting, from my post earlier today (
http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/09/mhksaxon_saxon_88basic_and_sch_1.html)
regarding the release of Saxon on .NET 8.8,

* in the .NET product, extension functions written in C# or other .NET
 languages can now be invoked

While the same is more than likely true in regards to the ability to access
extension functions written in Python, this is one area I can help with more
so than anything else as this was a significant area of study and
development I put into Saxon.NET before handing over the reigns to Dr. Kay
in February.   In addition, with his guidance, I've since continued forward
in working on various areas of research and development.  With this in mind,
in regards to,

We'll need to work w/ some other teams within the company to make sure we
> can get the right amount of support in the right places to make this all
> come together.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

While for obvious reasons I can't help with the internal System.Xml.Xsl code
base, I can help with the Saxon.NET code base.  If I can be of help, please
let me know :)

On 9/5/06, Dino Viehland <dinov at exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The answer to this appears to be no - The XSL processor uses Reflection to
> try and discover the method to be called.  In IronPython reflection won't
> tell you what methods are available.  We do support the
> ICustomTypeDescriptor interface which is another way to get this information
> (which enables scripting WPF), but unfortunately XSL isn't falling back to
> that.
>
> We'll need to work w/ some other teams within the company to make sure we
> can get the right amount of support in the right places to make this all
> come together.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I'm not going to
> open a bug on this (because it's not necessarily an IP issue) but I believe
> we will be tracking this one (and similar issues) closely.

/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354