[IronPython] socket for IronPython update

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Sep 11 17:40:22 CEST 2006

Originally we were trying to implement "_socket" instead of "socket".  We ran into one problem with this: the standard socket.py module has an implicit dependency upon CPython's reference counting garbage collector (for implementing dup).  We considered a hack to make this work but ultimately rejected it in favor of implementing "socket" instead replacing the standard Python module.   Unfortunately makefile didn't make it - and that looks like the same thing for ssl (it's present in CPythons socket but not _socket).

Select was a much simpler case of just not getting to it in time.  We'll ship a select implementation w/ the 1.1 release - we'll need to look at makefile & ssl though (makefile should be trivial, hopefully ssl will be just as trivial).