[IronPython] Direct3D IronPython Sample

Leaf Garland leafgarland+ironpython at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:01:45 CEST 2006

On 27/09/06, Dave Fugate <dfugate at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm mistaken but the web installer you reference (also installed on my own PC) does not include the Direct3D 10 pre-release needed by the sample...

You're correct, there are no DirectX 10 parts in that web installer.

As DirectX 10 only works on Vista and has no official managed Api that
I'm aware of I think there has been some naming confusion.

Looking into the sample in more detail I now see that it uses the
Managed DirectX v2.0 beta. There are two branches of Managed DirectX
one that works with both 1.1 and 2.0 .Net runtimes and an unfinished
beta that was targeted at the 2.0 runtime.

This explains the confusion about multiple assemblies. The beta 2.0
version only has a single assembly called "Microsoft.DirectX.dll", the
1.1 version has multiple assemblies including one called
"Microsoft.DirectX.dll". This is a good example of why using
clr.AddReferenceByPartialName() can be dangerous, there are two
different assemblies with the same filename. Using a full assembly
name reference might have been better as it would have failed on those
systems that didn't have the beta 2.0 version installed and indicated
which assembly was required.

clr.AddReferenceByName("Microsoft.DirectX, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35")

Anyway, getting back to the point - The end user runtime does not
include the beta 2.0 version of Managed DirectX, only the 1.1 version.
So you will need to install the DirectX SDK to get the assemblies
required. Also, as the sample docs say, the beta 2.0 version is now a
dead product and people should consider switching to the 1.1 version
or the Xna Framework.

Hope that clears things up and apologies for previously adding to the confusion.

Cheers,
Leaf.