[IronPython] Restricting IronPython

Jeff Brown Jeff at ingenio.com
Sat Apr 7 08:14:09 CEST 2007

You'll want to apply CodeAccessSecurity constraints to limit access to
various pieces of functionality like Assembly.Load, etc...

Basically, before you run any of this "untrusted" code, you should enter
a minimum security context that specifically does not have permission to
access the filesystem, run native code, link to other libraries and
whatnot.  It should only be able to do relatively "safe" things that
prevent the code from exiting the .Net sandbox.  In your own game
libraries, you'll want to ensure that your methods can be called from a
Partially Trusted context and can Demand the necessary priviledges to
run.  However, be aware that locking up the CPU is just one of many
denial of service techniques a malicious (or careless) game user or
designer might employ.  Such a user might also cause log files to pile
up, cause stack overflows, generate unreasonable network traffic, cause
huge numbers of exceptions to be thrown, allocate large numbers of
objects, leak memory and so on.  CodeAccessSecurity will really cut down
on how much of this can be done by user code, but you do need to very
careful when you write your library to ensure that none of its functions
can be abused (even innocently!).

In any case, assuming you deny the SecurityPermissionFlag.ControlThread
permission, then you can use Thread.Abort() to kill the thread.  As Dino
suggested you set up a monitoring thread that enforces the quantum and
calls Thread.Abort().  If the code that's running does not have
ControlThread (and can't block in unusual ways) then it cannot call
Thread.ResetAbort() to prevent its shutdown.  It _should_ shut down
pretty quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised if using Thread.Abort() were
not completely robust but doing it within .Net (instead of via native
code as I think Dino implies) is at least guaranteed not to trash the
runtime environment.

You might be interested in the constrained execution model that was
added to .Net 2.0 to support integration with the CLR.  It specifies
that only code that satisfies certain reliability contracts may run.
Check out this article:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228973.aspx  It doesn't sound
like you need to be quite that paranoid though.

Someone out there must have already implemented a robust .Net sandbox
for just the kind of thing you're trying to do...  Look around.  It may
be hard to find something that will work with IronPython because it uses
a lot of reflection and its builtin modules might not be completely safe
w.r.t. CodeAccessSecurity (might expose dangerous public methods).  I'm
just guessing here...

Jeff.