[IronPython] can't override LayoutEngine property

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Apr 26 22:44:45 CEST 2007

Wow, after digging into this some more I gotta say: this is very interesting and may be a CLR bug.  The short of this is there's a bug here and there's at least a work around (from the perspective of you can rebuild IronPython :) ).

In Src\IronPython\Compiler\Generation\NewTypeMaker.cs there's a function called OverrideSpecialName.  It's signature needs a new parameter:

private void OverrideSpecialName(Type type, MethodInfo mi, Dictionary<string, bool> specialNames) {

and then that parameter needs to be used for the GetProperties call:

PropertyInfo[] pis = type.GetProperties(BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic);

There's 1 caller to this function in OverrideVirtualMethods and it just needs to pass type:

OverrideSpecialName(type, mi, specialNames);

Here's an explanation of what's going on.  We are calling GetMethods() on Panel which returns the methods for Panel and all of its subtypes - including Control.  We are then filtering those down to virtual methods and trying to find the property they are associated with.  At that point in time we call GetProperties() on the method's declaring type (in this case, Control) to get all of the properties.  We then go through each property trying to find the property who has a get or set method that matches this method (get_LayoutEngine).

What's strange is that we come to a point where we have a get_LayoutEngine method declared on Control that we grabbed from Panel, and we have a get_LayoutEngine method declared on Control that we grabbed from Control's LayoutEngine property.  For some reason these two methods aren't comparing equal even though they're the exact same method.

Given that we have a workaround for IronPython I'll open a bug (9908 - http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9908) and this should go into the next stable release.

I'll also follow up with the CLR team and see if they believe this is a bug and if so get that fixed as well.

Thanks for reporting this...  Hopefully the workaround won't be too much trouble until we get the next release out.