[IronPython] concerns about startup time

Jonathan Amsterdam jba at ELLINGTON.com
Mon Apr 30 15:55:04 CEST 2007

I've been evaluating IronPython over the last week or so for a project
at work. Much as I love it, I do have one concern: start-up time. My
demo app-much smaller than the actual one will be-takes about 4 seconds
just to load, before doing any work such as building the GUI. This time
will be acceptable in the deployed application, but adds much pain to
the development cycle-I suspect using C# in Visual Studio would yield
faster overall time even with compilation of a changed file.

I've done the obvious optimization of using -X:SaveAssemblies. The above
times were taken after loading the app once with -X:SaveAssemblies, then
running it a second time without that flag. The main file of the app
contains just an import and a function call. All the other code is in
other files.

I'm aware of the authenticode issue. I tried to disable the runtime code
check by running caspol -e off. That didn't make any difference.

Any other optimizations you can suggest?

Do you think there is room for improvement in start-up in IP's
implementation, or is the bottleneck in the CLR?

Assuming there is room for improvement, can you give me a sense of the
priority of this issue, and when we can expect to see a difference?

Thanks for your help.

-Jonathan Amsterdam

Email transmissions can not be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain
viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in
the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission.  In addition,
the information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the
individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
disclosure of the parties to it, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient please
delete this email message.