[IronPython] New to Ironpython. Want to glue DLL with Python code

Hugo González Monteverde hugonz-lists at h-lab.net
Mon Aug 6 00:28:48 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I'm new to IronPython, thought I've been using CPython for two years now.

I am now developing a project using a library for processing Biometrics
(fingerprint recognition) and would like to use Python to invoke the
functions in the DLL. The DLL comes with C# examples, so I'm assuming
here that I could use it with IronPython.

What I've tried so far:

Using ctypes: the dll has a a C++ interface, so using ctypes is a
torture, functions are only imported ordinally, and no names or anything
is available. From here I thought IronPython would be better.

using IronPython: Tried to directly import the classes in the DLL, this
did not work. I have read a bit on LoadAssembly, but I'm not sure how it
works. SO far I've only been able to "import System" from IronPython,
but pretty much nothing else can be imported. There is a full app in C#
include with the software.

I'm using Windows XP with the latest ironpython.

I'm really beginning here, so the question would be: how do I import
classes and functions from a DLL what I know is accessible from a C#
application, using IronPython?

Thanks for any advice or direction,

Hugo G.