[IronPython] New to Ironpython. Want to glue DLL with Python code

Hugo González Monteverde hugonz-lists at h-lab.net
Mon Aug 6 07:57:17 CEST 2007

Howard R. Hansen wrote:
> What type of compiler was used to write the  dll?  Is it a .net dll or
> some other type like unmanaged
>  C++?

Hi Howard (and Michael),

The DLL is a proprietary one from the  GrFinger SDK package
(http://www.griaule.com/page/en-us/grfinger_fingerprint_sdk) so I don't
have that information. There are examples of use also for VB.NET and
C++.NET. So I would guess the DLL would be a .NET dll, does this make sense?

The example code they provide in C# does this:

//////////////////
using GrFingerXLib
using System
//and then is used as

	// Extract a fingerprint template from current image
	public int ExtractTemplate()
	{
		int result;

		// set current buffer size for the extract template
		_tpt._size = (int)GRConstants.GR_MAX_SIZE_TEMPLATE;
		result = (int)_grfingerx.Extract(
			ref _raw.img, _raw.width, _raw.height, _raw.Res,
			ref _tpt._tpt,ref _tpt._size,
			(int)GRConstants.GR_DEFAULT_CONTEXT);
		// if error, set template size to 0
		if (result < 0)
		{
			// Result < 0 => extraction problem
			_tpt._size = 0;
		}
		return result;
	}

/////////////////////////////////

I was hoping that a DLL named GrFingerXLib would be available somewhere
in my system (after the installation of the SDK) but there is none.
There are several different files:  GrFinger.dll  and GrFingerX.dll

This is what I (naively)  attempted:

C:\IronPython-1.1>ipy
IronPython 1.1 (1.1) on .NET 2.0.50727.832
 >>> import GrFinger
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File , line 0, in <stdin>##9
   File , line 0, in __import__##4
ImportError: No module named GrFinger
 >>> import GrFingerX
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File , line 0, in <stdin>##10
   File , line 0, in __import__##4
ImportError: No module named GrFingerX
 >>> import GrFingerXLib
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File , line 0, in <stdin>##11
   File , line 0, in __import__##4
ImportError: No module named GrFingerXLib

Hope that is useful. I can make the files available privately if that helps.

Hugo