[IronPython] [python] Re: IronPython 1.1.1 wish-list?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Dec 23 18:25:21 CET 2007

(Sorry to reply to this one - lost the original.)

Resolver is based on IronPython 1.1 - and in our test suite we have a
set of IronPython bug tests for bugs that have affected us and that we
have had to work around. Fixing these would be great.

These include (note that the tests all pass - they will fail as soon as
the bugs are fixed so that we know to remove our workarounds. To see the
correct behaviour you should reverse the asserts):

    def testExceptionRaisedInWrongPlace(self):
        class AttributeTest(object):
            def __getattr__(self, name):
                raise AttributeError('wibble')

        try:
            AttributeTest().fish
        except AttributeError, a:
            self.assertEquals(a.msg, 'fish', "AttributeError fixed")

    def testGetAttr(self):
        class Broken(object):
            def __getattr__(self, name):
                raise AttributeError(name)

        try:
            Broken().__gt__
        except AttributeError:
            pass
        else:
            self.fail("IronPython bug fixed")

    def testComparingClrObjects(self):
        self.assertNotEquals([Color.Red], [Color.Red], "IronPython has
fixed comparing clr objects in lists.")

    def testComparingSingles(self):
        self.assertFalse(1 <= Single(2.0) <= 3, "IronPython bug fixed.")

    def testCallableWithKWArgs(self):
        # IronPython bug #8246
        class F(object):
            def __call__(self, *args, **kwargs):
                print args, kwargs

        f = F()
        # Search for __call__ to find workarounds for this problem - as
of this writing
        # there is at least one use in Listener.wrap()
        self.assertRaises(Exception, lambda : f(*(1,), **{'a' : 23}))

    def testConvertFloatToLongAndFloat(self):
        self.assertFalse(hasattr(5.0, "__float__"), "Floats now have a
__float__ attribute")
        self.assertFalse(hasattr(5.0, "__long__"), "Floats now have a
__long__ attribute")

One that affects our user code:

"Array doesn't have methods w/o importing clr" - Item #       11971

We would love to see all these bugs fixed in the stable version of
IronPython. :-)

Many of these are fixed in IP 2 already.

Many Thanks

Michael Foord
http://www.manning.com/foord