[IronPython] [python] *.pyd files usage in Iron python

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Dec 26 18:45:10 CET 2007

John Fletcher wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to port the existing Python code to Iron python. To use
> most of the existing python functionalities , I have a path to the
> python installation(ie C:\python24\lib) in my *.py files. With this I
> am able to import all the python libraries like "os", "clr" etc., But
> if I try to import the libraries in *.pyd file, my execution complains
> about its non-existence (eg: win32file, win32net, though they are
> present in C:\python24\lib\site-packages\win32 ).
>
> Could any one let me know, how to deal with it ? or where can I get
> the corresponding *.py files ?

 From the FAQ (
http://www.codeplex.com/WorkItem/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=IronPython&WorkItemId=2731&FileAttachmentId=869
- why is this a download?):

Q: How do I build and call into PYD libraries?

A: IronPython does not support using PYDs built for CPython since they
leverage implementation details of CPython.  You can get a similar
effect for new "PYD"s you would like to implement by writing them in C#
or VB and building a DLL for .NET.

There is one approach - but really you are better off looking for native
ways of doing what you need from IronPython:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/cpython_extensions.shtml

Michael
http://www.manning.com/foord