[IronPython] IronPython vs Cpython import speeds.

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jan 9 00:13:51 CET 2007

Unfortunately import speed is one of the areas where CPython is drastically faster than IronPython.  The primary reason for this is that we will compile all the modules that get imported during importation which slows things down.

One possible work around is to use the pyc tutorial although that's known to not work with packages.  Also you can vote on this bug (http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=358) which will enable us caching the modules on disk (like CPython caches .pyc files) so that import time will be greatly improved.