[IronPython] Full forms editor with VS Express?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jan 12 11:19:49 CET 2007

Mike Krell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> My understanding is that it's not possible to use the full IronPython
> integration with VS Express.  Given that, what is the best way to use
> the full power of the forms editor from VS express but code the forms
> and the rest of the app in IronPython?  I don't want to use any of the
> (mostly incomplete) alternate form editors that are freely available.

At Resolver we have the full version of Visual Studio, but we still use
the forms editor to create C# code.

We use it just to create the GUI layer (mainly for our dialogs), making
sure that all the attributes are set to protected. Then we subclass in
IronPython.

Having all the dialog sources in C# makes sure we are never tempted to
modify them by hand. :-)

This works very well for us.

Michael Foord
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/index.shtml