[IronPython] Feedback needed for bug fix:Import pre-compiledmodules

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Tue Jan 23 20:00:55 CET 2007

I could be wrong (I certainly have been in the past), but the current scheme seems to pre-empt the built-in mechanisms.

There are several ways you can get a reference to an assembly -- file name, name space without strong name, name space and version, name space and public key, etc.  This works well enough for most (not all) purposes.  If you want .NET to load the most recent version of an assembly, you just need to ask for it.  If you require a certain version, or culture, you can ask for those as well.

Consider an addin approach, where the IronPython.dll is the addin rather than a compile-time reference.  If you did that, then the exe could have a bootstrapper that merely asks for the runtime without specifying strong names.  It loads IronPython, potentially obeying any of the standard redirection declarations in exe.config. The exe then casts the IP runtime to IIronPython_1_0_1, and starts calling methods.

In versioning IronPython, if a breaking change needs to happen, we can use explicit interfaces:

public int IIronPython_1_0_0.Add(int x, int y) { return x + y + 0.1; }
public int IIronPython_1_0_1.Add(int x, int y) { return x + y; // bug fix }

.. I'm just doing this off the top of my head at the moment, but I think it'd at least alleviate some of the problem.