[IronPython] Future handling of op_Implicit

Giles Thomas giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
Thu Jul 5 17:42:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

I guess we're going to have to use C# to work around the lack of
op_Implicit support in the short term, but I'm interested in knowing
about the IP team's plans for handling conversion operators going forward.

Here's our situation; we have a highly-scriptable application, and our
clients want to be able to call their own .NET libraries from their
scripts.  However, their libraries make heavy use of the implicit casts,
so that they can (for example) have a method that takes an instance of
C1, but pass it a C2 and rely on C1's op_Implicit(C2) to handle the
conversion.  This works fine for them when using other .NET languages,
but of course doesn't work in IronPython.

I must admit that I don't really know what IP could do with this kind of
code; if I understand correctly, op_Implicit(x) in (say) C# is
dispatched based on the type of the variable x rather then the type of
the object to which it is a reference, and of course variable type in
that sense is not a meaningful concept in a dynamic language.

What should IronPython do?  Is this a case where people are going to
have to write more code if they want to use a dynamic language?

Regards,

Giles
--

Giles Thomas
giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
+44 (0) 20 7253 6372

Resolver Systems Ltd
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK