[IronPython] [Kamaelia-list] Kamaelia and IronPython (was: Hosting IronPython 2.X in .NET app)

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:01:10 CEST 2007

On 7/11/07, Michael Sparks <ms at cerenity.org> wrote:

> This is a bug in the IronPython implementation of python's generators -
> this
> has been legal in python since python 2.2.2. I'm guessing it's a known bug
> by
> the sounds of things.

Yep, I believe so.

IronPython team: Are there any known concerns that might keep this from
making into the final IP2.0 release?

The reason incidentally we focus on compatibility with python 2.2.2 is
> because
> that also happens to be the version of python ported to Nokia mobile
> phones,
> and we'd like to retain the option of running Kamaelia on such platforms.
> (Having done so in the past and found we can do some fun things as a
> result! :)

Which leads me to wonder how much of an impact Silverlight/DLR in the mobile
device space might have?  The notion of decentralized concurrent
inbox/outbox operations taking place over, for example, a Kamaelia-based
mesh network sounds WAY TOO COOL not to get excited about.

Michael: FYI > The Dynamic Language Runtime is what IronPython 2.0 as well
as IronRuby, a new JScript.NET implementation, as well as a new language
referred to as Dynamic VB are built upon.  If not mistaken, once Kamaelia
can be run successfully on IronPython 2.0, then all of Kamaelia would be
accessible via this same base of languages as well as other DLR-based
projects such as Vista Smalltalk/DLR

The nice thing about the above code is that it looks pretty linear, but has
> the cross platform scalabilty benefits of state machine approach. (which
> is
> *why* we use generators rather than threads)

Nice!  I wasn't aware of this until now, but it makes complete sense!

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |