[IronPython] [Kamaelia-list] Kamaelia and IronPython (was: Hosting IronPython 2.X in .NET app)

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:29:30 CEST 2007

On 7/20/07, Dino Viehland <dinov at exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Generally what's best for us is to get small test cases which demonstrate
> particular problems.  Great examples of this are every single one of Seo's
> bug reports.

Seo is without a doubt a shining example of how to effectively contribute to
OSS software!

We have occasionally picked up external Python libraries and their
> associated test suites (the best example of this I can think of is nzmath).
> Unfortunately when we do that we need to talk to lawyers, have them approve
> the license, and then we keep those files in a separate source repository
> from our primary one.

I figured as much.  An ugly process, but when you're a company as big as
MSFT its one of those things that just has to be this way.  To many people
on the sidelines looking for a way to stick their fingers into the MSFT pie
(or simply cause as much Baby's Mama Drama as they possibly can ;-)

  The small individual test cases we can integrate back into our own test
> suite, add our own versions of the tests for more coverage, etc…  and that's
> much more flexible.

Cool.  That's helpful to know.

If they do have a test suite, or if you're interested in contributing one, I
> could ping the lawyers, but Kamaelia's license will at least make that an
> interesting talk for us J.

:D  An interesting comment from Michael Sparks regarding their trilicense
scheme[1],

My *personal* preference is for the BSD license, but the MPL/GPL/LGPL gives
> maximum protections for users and interoperability with other libraries,
> whilst protecting the base code from being closed.

Also, some interesting food for the argument for open systems fodder[2],

At present, proprietary systems fail to provide the BBC any way of
> mitigating costs. Open systems based on open standards often replace the
> early adopted proprietary systems, simply in order to scale. This has been
> likened to proprietary medicines being replaced by generic drugs over time.

Maybe its just me, but something tells me that as we move forward into a
world powered by "Software as a Service" and decentralized communications,
paying attention to the BBC+Kamaelia is going to become as important as
paying attention to what MSFT was doing in the 90's and what Google is doing
in the 00's.  Of course, in this regard gaining support for Kamaelia in
IronPython 2.0 (.NET+WCF+DLR+Silverlight+Kamaelia == YES PLEASE! :) makes
things that much more sweet in regards to being enabled to do some pretty
amazing things in the land of audio/video/p2p communications!

[1]
http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/10/bbcoss_on_kamaelia_concurrency.html#comment-106266
[2] http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Challenges/?tab=6

--