[IronPython] Patent concerns

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Fri Jun 1 19:32:30 CEST 2007

On 6/1/07, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> The license associated with IronPython is quite specific about patent
> rights.  Microsoft treats its licenses very seriously.  In my opinion,
> there's nothing to worry about here.

People who are simply *using* IronPython are covered by the license.

The originally-expressed concern was that looking at the IronPython source
code might "contaminate" a developer such that, if the same developer later
worked on a different project with similar architecture, it might open that
project up to claims of violating a Microsoft patent.

I am not a lawyer, but this seems highly unlikely.  "Independent
rediscovery" does not protect you from claims of patent infringement, only
from copyright infringement.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org