[IronPython] Using iso-latin-1 character set

Anders M. Mikkelsen amm at selektro.dk
Mon Jun 25 14:51:02 CEST 2007

Hi

I'm using IronPython in an environment where I have to use
characters from the iso-latin-1 character set (æøå and ÆØÅ).
The problem is that IronPython seems to be replacing my
iso-latin-1 characters with ?-marks.

print "æble"          yields "?ble" on the console.
print u"æble"        yields "?ble" on the console.
print u"\u00e6ble" yields "æble" on the console (as it should)

Now I cannot have my non-geek collegues write \u00e6 every
time they have to put in an 'æ' in their scripts, so I have to
come up with a better solution.

Any ideas?

I'm using emacs to edit my scripts and have tried saving using
different character encodings (including iso-latin-1 and UTF8/16).
If I save the file as UTF8, the iso-latin-1 characters are replaced
by two question marks (??). Sadly emacs does not support
unicode (out-of-the-box). Wonder if that would solve my problem?