[IronPython] C#, Types and IronPython

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 11 15:27:11 CET 2007

Keith J. Farmer wrote:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.type.gettype.aspx
>
> The C# typeof(typeid) operator doesn't take a string.  Instead, it takes the type identifier and returns an object representing that type.  It's basically a compile-time operation.
>
> The framework's Type.GetType methods are runtime operations that take some input (eg, a string containing the name of a type, or a variable whose type you want to know) and return the appropriate Type object.

Right - so they both just return a type object. The distinction is that
one is dynamic (runtime) and the other compile time. That much is fine.

It still doesn't explain to me why they are both used in the MSDN
example, and more to the point why the example doesn't just use the type
objects in the first place ! (I don't expect you to answer this. :-)

What object does 'typeof(int)' (in C# *not* IronPython) return. I guess
it is not System.Int32 ! Is there a common base class for the C# number
types ?

Thanks

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/