[IronPython] IronPython 2.0 Alpha 1 Released

Dan Shechter dans at houmus.org
Tue May 1 12:03:59 CEST 2007

Hi,
This might be not the best place to ask this, bu I'm noticing something very
strange with SilverLight 1.1alpha and the DLRConsole sample.
I can run it from IE7 both from http:// and from file://
I can run it with FireFox 2.0 with http://
When I run it with FireFox 2.0 from file:// I get

*Object reference not set to an instance of an object.**Source File: *
DLRConsole.py

*Exception Details: *System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
to an instance of an object..

*Stack Trace:*

  at __name__ in DLRConsole.py, line 24

This happens both on Windows Vista and XP SP2.
Line 24 contains the very complex statement: "import wpf"... :)

The URL I'm using in FireFox (which DOES work) is:
http://silverlight.net/Samples/1.1/DLR-Console/python/index.htm

If I use the downloaded sample (either from the silverlight.net gallery,
silverlight 1.1 sdk, or the codeplex
dynamic silverlight samples site) I get the above excpetion with file://...

    TIA,
    Shechter.

On 5/1/07, Jim Hugunin <Jim.Hugunin at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that the DLR is shipped with full sources that same way that
> IronPython itself is on codeplex.  It should be able to run the full stack
> on any fully compliant CLI implementation.
>
> In addition to that, with the Silverlight announcements we made today,
> IronPython is already running on the Microsoft-built .NET runtime in the
> browser on both Windows and Mac (in an alpha release).  All of John's and my
> talk tomorrow showing IronPython, IronRuby, JavaScript and VB will be run on
> a Mac Powerbook inside of Safari.  I'm having fun tonight getting used to
> the quirks of the Mac keyboard to make that happen.
>
> Thanks - Jim

    Shechter.