[IronPython] Excel events from IronPython?

Christian Muirhead christian.muirhead at resolversystems.com
Thu May 24 15:11:14 CEST 2007

Hi -

I'm automating Excel from IP, which has been a bit painful, but looks to
be working now. One extra thing I'd like to do is to subscribe to a
worksheet's change event.

This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302815/) is an article that does
in C# essentially what I'd like to do in IP. I can construct an
AppEvents_SheetChangeEventHandler delegate wrapped around a function,
but I can't find the event to hook it up - there's no .Change event on
the worksheet.

Nosing around the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel namespace (the Excel
object model documentation is pretty patchy, although I've looked there
too), I can see a type called AppEvents_Event, which does seem to expose
the events I want. But I can't work out how to instantiate it (or even
whether I should be trying to), and trying to attach the delegate to the
event on the type results in:

 >>> Excel.AppEvents_Event.SheetChange +=
Excel.AppEvents_SheetChangeEventHandler(func)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File , line 0, in <stdin>##165
StandardError: Non-static method requires a target.

(Which is pretty clear.)

I'm about to try following the example in C#, and hopefully I'll be able
to work out what the C# code's doing differently.

In the meantime, has anyone successfully consumed Excel (or any Office
application) events in IronPython? Can anyone familiar with COM<->.NET
interop see what I should be doing?

Thanks,
Christian

--
Christian Muirhead
Resolver Systems
christian.muirhead at resolversystems.com

Office address:     17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

Resolver Systems Limited is registered in England and Wales as company
number 5467329.
VAT No. GB 893 5643 79