[IronPython] Console

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed May 30 20:06:36 CEST 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007 20:56:31 -0500, "Szurek, John"
<JohnSzurek at clearchannel.com> wrote:

> The console in Python is a real Windows window.  When I run Python in
> the Python console I get an output window that is a real Windows window.
> All of that means that I can cut and paste freely into the code window
> and I can cut and paste freely from the results window.  The IronPython
> "console" is not a console at all, it is the command line.

Your first statement is simply not true.  The native console in Python
is a command line tool, just like in IronPython.  Start a command shell
and type "python" to see this.  Now, it is true that the Windows Python
distributions include a couple of applications that happen to put a
pretty GUI wrapper around the command line interpreter (including IDLE
and pythonwin), but those are just wrappers.  They are not the "Python
console".

> It is clumsy
> and clunky and virtually unusable unless you are pre-Windows and happen
> to like command lines!

The fact that you aren't familiar with it doesn't make it "clumsy and
clunky".  Python started out as a scripting language, so its roots lie
deep in the command line mentality.  Yes, I happen to like command lines.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.